Wednesday 18 June 2008

the story of my love for bernina

It could be considered rather boring reading... but here goes;

I guess my love for bernina sewing machines began because my mother owned one while I was growing up. Very impressionable I was, lol! I learned how to sew on one at intermediate school (age 10-12) during manual classes. In manual, we learned the following subjects; woodwork, metalwork, home economics (think food!) and sewing. Sewing was my favourite. I learned how to sew my first ever skirt.

When I was 21, my mother bought me my very own bernina sewing machine. At that stage I wasn't really into sewing and it sat in storage for a good few years. When I finally brought it out, about 6 years later, it was only really used for mending clothing. My children were really small and seemed to make a lot of holes in their clothes! ;) One day, my darling daughter Bree decided it would be great to try out what Mummy does, she was about 4 or 5, and she somehow managed to break the machine with her playing. So back into storage it went, and last year I gave it to my sister Rebekah who paid $100 (give or take a few $$$) to get it serviced. It now goes, I used it when I was down in Christchurch in April. It's a great little machine.

If I'd known it would only cost $100 to fix the old trusty bernina, I'd have saved myself a whole heap of heartache over the Brother. The Brother was bought out of a necessity for a machine and cost just under $300. It has driven me to craziness on many an occasion. You see it has major problems with tension, and hates to sew anything thicker than 2 pieces of cotton fabric!

Now we come to my favourite piece of equipment in my craft room. The Bernina Record 730. I found it at the local Sallies for $35! Yes, you read that right, $35. It cost me this week, $78 for a service and goes like magic. Amazing! It seems to me to be similar if not the same as the one my mother used all those years ago. :)

It just goes to show old doesn't necessarily mean redundant!

2 comments:

Little Miss Flossy said...

You're so right... my Bernina is over 20 years old and, with regular servicing, it goes like a dream. I looked at buying a new one recently but... decided not to, not just yet anyway. I teach 11 and 12 year olds and we still use the trusty Berninas with them ;-)

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

I hate how now adays everything is made throwaway! The old machines are what i learned on and I have a singer Treadle in my kitchen. I love the elect one i have but the treadle is awsome its over 100 yrs old and still works! hope someone can say that about me if i ever get that old. LOL Marion

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

My Etsy Store

Check out my sister's creativity

Come join in the giveaways... Jan 25th

Photo

Followers

Film Guide

Calendar

I am Loving...

Sew Translatable

I'm a faraway brown owl!

Brown Owls

taking a little stand...

Visitors